Monday, February 8, 2010

Tomorrow Night!

I've really got to get used to Lost being aired on Tuesdays instead of Wednesdays. It didn't hit me that the next episode is tomorrow until Brian (hi, Brian!) asked if I was going to post a "pre-game" analysis or something like that. He's got a point.

Tomorrow night's episode is titled, What Kate Does. You might remember that in Season 2, there was an episode called What Kate Did, apparently named so that we could find finally find out why Kate became a refugee from the law in the first place. I told Brian today that I hoped that What Kate Does is more interesting than What Kate Did, but I'm not sure it's fair. That's when we learned that Kate killed the man she had thought was her abusive stepfather because she learned he was actually her father. The thought of any part of her containing any part of him was too much for her to handle. She also struggled with her feelings on the Island with Sawyer, who was recovering from an infection after a gunshot wound. She had feelings for Sawyer, but he reminded her of the man she killed. And in his delirium, it sometimes appeared that Wayne's ghost inhabited Sawyer. This is also the episode where Kate saw a black horse on the Island.

So, what does Kate do? And when does she do it? In 2004, she had again managed to escape from US Marshall Mars' clutches, taking a taxi holding Claire by hostage so she could make good her escape. In 2007, she is in the Temple gawking at a newly resurrected Sayid (or Jacob reincarnated?). Perhaps it is what Kate does in both time lines that is important. I guess that time will tell.

I don't tend to enjoy Kate-centric episodes, and I'm not alone in that respect. But last season's Whatever Happened, Happened was one of the most compelling of Kate stories, and I sincerely hope that tomorrow night continues the trend. I am still sorry that I wasn't able to watch all the Kate-centric episodes like I had promised before the season start (what can I say - I'm a procrastinator!), but I am going to keep my mind open.

No comments:

Post a Comment