Monday, February 15, 2010

Tomorrow Night - The Substitute

I always think it's a little dangerous to pay a lot of attention to the titles of Lost episodes, but I do enjoy contemplating what they might mean.

Who's the substitute of tomorrow night's episode? Well, I think it is most likely notLocke taking Locke's place. The previews for tomorrow night showed notLocke interacting with James "Sawyer" Ford (Locke called Sawyer "James" and I just assume his doppelganger will as well). Perhaps Sawyer is a substitute for Ben?

Depending on what it means when someone is "claimed", you could argue that Claire has been substituted by something or someone, and that something or someone is about to substitute for Sayid. This will be interesting to observe.

Of course, Kate has acted as a substitute mother to Aaron. When will Claire (or whomever) discover that?

Just a few odd notes. I've not refered to the promo shots that were released by Lost earlier. Since I've switched to a Mac, I've not been able to figure out how to steal - I mean download! - pictures for your viewing pleasure. So I'll just have to give you a link to look at: http://www.bscreview.com/wp-content/gallery/lost-last-supper-3/lost-last-supper-poster-3.jpg. Oddly enough I couldn't find the picture on the ABC website. Whatever.

The picture is of our Lost characters placed in a "Last Supper" pose. Although I love Renaissance art, I've never studied this work enough to know who is whom. But it turns out I don't need to study it - all the other Lost fans can fill me in on this! The only two posers I'll comment on tonight are Locke/notLocke and Sayid (soon to be notSayid?). Locke, of course, is in Jesus's spot (I actually didn't need to be told that - I'm not that ignorant!). But what I didn't know is that Sayid is in Judas's spot. When I first read this, before learning that Sayid was "claimed", I didn't quite understand his placement. But now it makes me ponder. Does Sayid have to become notSayid (perhaps Jacob?) to defeat notLocke? Is that why Jacob looked so hard at Sayid in the first episode of the season?

Last thought. Last week I stared at the flirty mechanic who freed Kate from her handcuffs for a small fee. The man was absolutely familiar to me, but his name wasn't in the credits. I thought perhaps I was losing my mind. But I read today that the mechanic was played by an uncredited Jeff Kober. Kober is most famous to me for playing not one but two roles on Buffy the Vampire Slayer. My favorite role he played was Rack, a magic dealer. And by magic dealer, I mean like a drug dealer. And if you watch Lost you really can't make fun of Buffy storylines. I'm just saying.

3 comments:

  1. I recently had a non-Lostie tell me that he read an article about Lost. And he said: "is it honestly a show about a disappearing tropical island with polar bears and human eating smoke monsters where people time travel and come back from the dead, etc, etc, etc." I smiled. And explained the best I could that, really, it's not so preposterous when you watch from the beginning because they don't dump that all on you at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to hear that explanation. And the smoke monster doesn't really eat humans, it just judges them and sometimes kills them. Right?

    ReplyDelete