Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Substitute

You know, I was once asked in an interview, "If you were a candle, what part would you be?" I didn't get the job. I'm glad I didn't get the job.

John Locke's interview with Lynn Karnoff was amusing on several levels, but sadly, I only picked up on the obvious. But thank goodness for the internet, because I learned that Lynn Karnoff in a different timeline was hired by Hurley's father in Tricia Tanaka is Dead to convince Hurley that she can erase the curse from the numbers. Hurley figured it out and stormed out. Pretty funny, hunh?

I thought this was a fabulous episode, but then aren't all John Locke-centric episodes? Here are some thoughts:

John Locke in 2004

Rose sees John as in denial over his paralysis, but I believe that he is actually bordering between denial and anger. He is angry at anyone who might hint that he can't do what he wants to do. He refuses to park in the handicapped spot at work, even though it would give his van room to open with his wheelchair ramp. He tries to get off the broken wheelchair ramp, even though Helen was inside and could have helped.

And who wasn't surprised when Helen just popped out of the house to help John? They're engaged? The wedding is in a month? And John's father is on the invite list? Is this the same Anthony Cooper we know and hate? Or is this a foster father perhaps? If it is Cooper, did he not con his son out of a kidney and push his son out a window to paralyze him? I guess we'll learn that answer later. Hopefully.

But Helen was a welcome surprise. She had left John because of his obsession with his father. I guess if John wasn't obsessed with his con artist father, then there's no reason for Helen to dump John.

But there's still trouble in paradise. John lies to Helen (just like he does to his boss) about the walkabout. He doesn't tell her he'd been fired immediately. But he faces up to his lies, and it seems the lies are all related to his anger at his paralysis, and his lack of hope in a miracle leading to his walking again.

In this timeline, John doesn't believe in destiny or miracles. And somehow, that just seems sad. It's Helen who thinks it's destiny that John met a spinal surgery. John thinks it's just a dream. But the wedding is still on, and Helen shows how much she loves John. I think they make a good couple.

John Locke in 2007

Locke is finally buried in this episode. Sun puts aside her own desire to reunite with Jin to make sure that Locke was buried with the other fatalities after the crash of Oceanic 815. I guess this means I can stop hoping that John's eyes will pop open at any time.

notLocke in 2007

I don't tend to think of Locke and notLocke as sharing anything but a body, but it turns out that they both hate being told what they cannot do. Is there some of Locke in notLocke? Did some of John's personality transfer over? Or are they that much alike and that's the real reason Mr. Smoke Monster selected John?

We learned more about the nature of notLocke last night. It turns out that traveling as the Smoke Monster is pretty cool looking. From Ilana we learned that notLocke is now stuck in John's form. I wonder why? Ilana also believes that notLocke is recruiting, but she didn't say what for.

When asked by James what he was, his answer was most revealing:

What I am is trapped, and I've been trapped for so long that I don't even remember what it's like to be free. Maybe you can understand that. But before I was trapped, I was a man, James. Just like you...I know what it's like to feel joy...to feel pain, anger, fear...to experience betrayal. I know what it's like to lose someone you love.

Although James notes that notLocke wasn't scared, the presence of the boy whose arms were sometimes bloody clearly shook him. He is also surprised to learn that James could see the boy. Despite the fact that notLocke can travel as the Smoke Monster, he chooses to chase him on foot, resulting in a big trip. And then a warning, "You know the rules. You can't kill him." What did that mean?

Richard told James that notLocke would kill Sawyer, but a trip down Jacob's ladder (everyone's calling them that) showed that notLocke needs James alive, at least right now. I'll talk about the cave below, but the scene showed a master manipulator at work. James may be a con man, but I suspect notLocke is too.

Ben Linus in 2004

If you had asked me whether we'd see Ben in 2004, I'd have said no way! But there he is, complaining about his fellow teachers who just can't seem to remember to throw away the coffee grounds! But he seems pleased when the new substitute teacher wants the more civilized Earl Grey tea (Jean-Luc Picard's beverage of choice, by the way). So, welcome world, to Benjamin Linus, European history. This is going to be good. I've got some theories below.

Ben Linus in 2007

Honestly, I can't blame Ben for lying to Ilana about who killed Jacob. However, his lengthy pause before answering is clue enough to the observant listener that he lied. Ben will probably argue that he wouldn't have killed Jacob without notLocke's manipulation. But even Ben seems to know no one believes his lies. He's slipping.

A lot of people in the blogosphere assumed that Ben would follow notLocke wherever he went, but this episode showed otherwise. Why didn't Ben follow notLocke? Why didn't notLocke want Ben to follow him? Does notLocke need Jacob's candidates, a group to which Ben does not belong, perhaps? Instead, Ben sticks with Ilana, Sun, and Frank, and ends up helping Frank tote John's body to the cemetary.

The money shot of the whole episode was Ben's eulogy. I feel it was heartfelt. I feel bad for the pain that Ben is suffering now, and I do believe he is. How could he not? His whole world and his whole understanding of the world is now radically altered, and he has been as much a patsy as the mover of things. All that's left is the patsy, and that must leave a bitter taste in his mouth. Here's the eulogy:

Alright, I know him. John Locke was a...a believer, he was a man of faith...he was...a much better man than I will ever be. And I'm very sorry I murdered him.

James Ford in 2007

Josh Holloway continues to delight in his interpretation of James Ford. He could have been just a redneck grifter, but there's so much more to the character than that. His lack of surprise at seeing the dead John Locke. His quick understanding, despite probably being totally sauced, that this is notLocke, "Who are you? 'Cause you sure as hell ain't John Locke...'Cause Locke was scared." I'm going to assume that this quick assessment comes from his practice as a con artist.

I guess that Sawyer finds the idea of following notLocke in the jungle more appealing than drinking lots of whiskey and wearing just his underwear. He doesn't follow Richard, despite Richard's warning that notLocke will eventually kill James and everyone James cares for. The only person James cares for is now dead, so the latter isn't likely to change his mind. But James is not suicidal, as we saw in his scary trip down Jacob's ladder. How will they get out of that cave, anyway? But I was truly concerned that Richard's prediction would come true and the ladders were just notLocke's way of killing James.

Someone wrote in a blog or in a comment to someone else's blog that you can't con a con man, but they've forgotten that Ben did con Sawyer on the Hydra Island in the third season. I'm sure that notLocke is conning James, but I also believe that unlike Sawyer on the Hydra Island, James is walking in with both eyes open.

Frank Lapidus in 2007

There wasn't much from Frank tonight, except for the night's best line, "Weirdest damn funeral I've ever been to." Really, Frank?

Hugo Reyes in 2004

What a happy man Hugo is! I wonder if he is ever called Hurley in this time line?

Hugo's personality is still the same, pointing out to John that he could have parked in the handicapped spot. And his own amusement that he actually owns a company. But what a take-charge guy he is, giving John the number to his temp agency for another job "pronto". But then the kicker, "And chin up. Things are gonna work out." This guy's a real optimist.

Ilana in 2007

Unlike Ben, I think that Ilana cried because of the death of Jacob, not because of her cohorts. I could be wrong. She's hard to read, so I can't tell if she knows Ben is lying to her about who killed Jacob.

She must wonder what crazy group she's attached herself to. First, instead of retreating to the safety of the Temple, they have to bury John. And when they do bury John, no one wants to eulogize him, and the one that finally does admits he murdered the dead man.

Ilana seems to know a lot about the Island and its occupants. She knew that Sun searched for Jin, even though Sun has never confided in her. She knows about the Temple. She knows about the ashes. She knows what notLocke is up to. Now, if only the people around her would be smart enough to start asking the right questions!

Randy Nations in 2004

Hugo is right. Randy is still a huge douche.

Richard Alpert in 2007

I've never seen Richard so shaken and scared as he has been since realizing notLocke's identity. It's nice that he stopped and tries to rescue James from notLocke, but he runs like a scared rabbit at notLocke's approach.

I'm sure notLocke wasn't the only one disappointed that Jacob never shared his plans or thoughts with Richard. And Richard seemed okay with not knowing why Jacob wanted certain things done. With knowing nothing. What's wrong with the people on this Island?

Rose Nadler in 2004

One question answered - Rose still has terminal cancer. But pretty cool that she works for Hugo. And I bet she's really good at her job. Just watching the way she handles John's unrealistic expectation of becoming a construction supervisor was great. Her level gaze and this, "But eventually I got past the denial part and I got back to living whatever life I've got left."

If I have terminal cancer, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be working. I'm just saying.

Theories

The Boy

Who is this boy? Why didn't Richard see him? Can only Jacob's candidates see him? Or notLocke's recruits? And why does he scare notLocke so? I've seen some theories that the boy might be an older Aaron or a younger Jacob or John Locke.

The Rules

What are these rules anyway? Are the rules between Ben and Widmore the same as the rules between Jacob and the Man in Black? What does "You can't kill him" mean, anyway? He's impossible to kill or it's wrong to kill him? And is "him" Jacob?

The Cave

Why would Jacob write down the names of his candidates on the roof of that isolated cavern? And why attach numbers to the names? According to notLocke, a not necessarily reliable source, the names were of people that Jacob has touched. Some names are scribbled out. And what are the candidates, anyway? What are they candidates of? Remember that Ilana said that Frank might be a candidate. Several things to note: Austen was never shown. A lot of people are convinced that this is significant. Ryan McGee from Zap2it saw Littleton scribbled out. Is that Aaron or Claire? The names notLocke pointed out to James are (in no particular order):
  • 23 Shephard
  • 8 Reyes
  • 16 Jarrah
  • 42 Kwon (but unknown which - maybe it's both?)
  • 4 Locke (scribbled out by notLocke)
  • 15 Ford
As notLocke pointed the names out, we were taken back to The Incident, where we saw Jacob touching each of the named persons. notLocke tells James that by Jacob's touch, Jacob was taking away all free will from the touched, causing them to act in ways that would lead them straight to the Island. And what is the successful candidate supposed to do? Well, according to notLocke, three things:
  1. Do nothing, die, and get your name scribbled off.
  2. Protect the Island, essentially from nothing.
  3. Leave, with notLocke.
No surprise that Sawyer picked the latter. I'm curious to see how this turns out.

Others Elementary School

The last person I was expecting to see in the teachers' lounge was Benjamin Linus, who, frankly, seems quite pedantic in this timeline. Some bloggers believe they also saw Harper, Goodwin's wife, in the lounge as well, but I didn't spot her. If we see other Others....

But Ben's presence at the school brings a lot of questions. How did he get there? How much did Jughead change? A lot of us just assumed that the only thing Jughead would change for the Oceanic 815ers is that the plane would not crash. This is clearly not true. We saw the Island submerged, and I assumed that the Island sank as a result of Jughead. If so, then Ben would have sunk with it, since he was with the Others/Hostiles during the Incident (surely if Ben had been "found" and put into the submarine something would have been said). So, at what point did the Island sink? Was Ben ever on the Island? Had this Ben been shot by Sayid and treated at the Temple?

Hopefully more answers will be forthcoming. I didn't sense any glance of recognition between Ben and John similar to the recognition we saw between Kate and Jack and Jack and Desmond earlier. Other bloggers did see it however. I'll be curious to see what y'all think about that.

What Kate Does was all about relationships. This episode was too, but with a heaping helping of mythology and leads to potential answers too. There's so much to think about, that I feel like I left something major out. Let me know what it is. I hate forgetting things. In the meantime, I look forward to seeing your comments!

8 comments:

  1. Fist, a couple truly profound thoughts: I always thought I would enjoy Sawyer in his underwear a bit more than I did and I hate Earl Grey tea.

    Second, I would think Ben never joined the Others. If Sayid's plane didn't crash, then Sayid never went to the island, and never shot Ben sending him to the others. Of course, if the plane never crashed, none of the 815ers went to the island, so they couldn't have sunk the island with jughead... so why the heck is the island submerged at all???

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was Sawyer, I'd be pretty mad I almost killed myself climbing down a rickety ladder just to see a makeshift chalk board in a cave.

    Tell us something we don't know, Lost!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other thing that doesn't make sense to me. Locke's girlfriend had left him before he left for Australia. So even if the plane didn't crash on the way back, why would she still be with him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stefan - because much more changed in these people's lives than the plane just not crashing! Locke also didn't get paralyzed by being pushed out a window by his father, evidenced by his father still being in his life (the plans to have him attend the upcoming wedding). Things have changed in other 815ers 2004 lives, too, like Boone not being successful in his attempt to get his sister to leave her boyfriend and Kate being alleged to have killed an innocent bystander in her attempt to kill her father, rather than the father himself.

    Interesting, though, that Locke was destined to become paralyzed, even if not at the hands of his father.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I think the change in the relationship between Locke and his father (maybe he didn't even give his father a kidney) is why he still wtih Helen. No conning by dad = no unhealthy Locke-obsession with said scumbag dad = no tension in Locke/Helen relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So we're not just dealing with an alternate reality to the plane crashing, but an alternate reality for their entire lives? Isn't that a bit much at this point in the game?

    That said, I could really do without the island portion of Lost at this point. I think we've had about enough of all that, especially with this increasingly silly and ridiculous Temple setting. At least the alternate reality is grounded in something. In fact, that would have been a nice idea for the final season--the bomb detonates and they never crash and we find out what would've happened to them. That would've been fine. That's about as much resolution as you can ask for.

    As it is, I wouldn't expect a whole lot of concrete answers because I don't know even know what the fundamental questions are anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Carol. Go find a Google image of that mural in the Swan.Lots of clues there going way back. But what is interesting is that the number 42 is written on the right side and a 108 in the middle of a sun on the left side. Perhaps Kwon is neither Jin nor Sun...but Ji-Yeon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicole, I have to agree with your assessment of Sawyer in his boxers. I wonder if my mother felt the same way...Next time, just go shirtless, James.

    Stefan, I think that both timelines are important, we just don't know how yet. I have some theories as to what created the timelines, which I hope to post today. I am actually intensely interested in both timelines, so I like seeing both. But it does make me worry my nose will just start bleeding.

    Wayne, I'll have to check out the mural in the Swan. I have heard others comment that the Kwon might actually be Ji-Yeon instead of either of her parents, but since we saw a reprise of Jacob touching her parents, I think the producers mean them. I could be wrong. I've also heard some question whether the "Littleton" was the now-claimed Claire or her off-Island son Aaron. Either way, the name was apparently scratched out.

    ReplyDelete