Thursday, January 29, 2009

Jughead

What did we learn yesterday? Well, quite a lot, actually. As I mentioned last night, the show gave so many answers that I have whiplash. In no particular order:

- Penny and Desmond have a baby presumably 9 months after their reunion. The child is named Charlie. Isn’t that wonderful? I automatically assumed that the boy was named after Charlie Pace, whose selfless death saved Desmond. I forgot, though, that the child’s grandfather is also named Charles. I’m going with my first guess here – the boy’s namesake is our hobbit. Or vice versa.
- Charlotte’s condition is worsening. Dramatically. Is it time sickness, like what killed Minkowski and nearly killed Desmond? Does Charlotte need a constant? Does the fact that she was evidently born on the island make her more susceptible? And I must tell you, that I will be exceedingly disappointed if they kill her off right now. She seemed to have a more interesting story for us to explore.
- Daniel has a really bad poker face.
- How cool was it to see Miles’ mojo again? Like Charlotte, Miles has been woefully neglected. I blame the writers’ strike.
- In 1954, Richard appears to be acting like the leader of the Others, though he modestly admits that he answers to someone. Jacob, I presume?
- There’s a hydrogen bomb on the island. Could it be underneath the Swan station where Desmond spent years punching in numbers every 108 minutes. There’s an unusually strong magnetic field there, and a concrete wall several feet thick. A lot of people on the internet are really excited about the bomb. They believe that the radiation from the bomb is what added the time paradoxes to the island. And surely the bomb will show up again sometime?
- Desmond learns that Oxford has erased Daniel from its collective memory. That’s what happens when you send the brains of rats and a girl through time.
- Daniel tells Richard that he’s more interested in preventing an explosion “because I’m in love with the woman sitting next to me.” Honestly, I believed him. Not everyone does though. Some theories on their relationship later.
- Locke couldn’t kill the fleeing Other (unlike an aggravated Sawyer) – “he’s one of my people.”
- Theresa Spencer is the young woman whose brain apparently has been sent through time. She’s now more or less in a vegetative state. Daniel has abandoned her, so Charles Widmore, who funded Daniel’s research, takes care of all the bills for Theresa.
- Richard matter-of-factly notes that 18 US soldiers refused to leave the island, so, “We killed them.” But later Richard tells Locke that leaving the island is very complicated. Am I the only one to see the contradiction?
- When Richard tells Widmore to put down his gun, my jaw hit the ground. I had to rewind a couple of times to make sure I heard correctly. Now we know, Widmore has been on the island, and was an Other. And speaks Latin. One of many favorite lines of the night, “You think he [Locke] knows this island better than I do?” Um, yes.
- The girl with the gun, who evidently is named Ellie, reminds Daniel of someone. More on that later.
- Desmond is either brave or foolhardy in confronting Widmore. Widmore asks about Penny, and then agrees to give Desmond the address of Daniel’s mother. She just happens to be in LA (you know, where Ben is). “She won’t be pleased to see you. She’s a very private person.” But she and Desmond have so much in common!
- Widmore is afraid of what Ben will do to Penny: “Get out of this mess. Don’t put Penny’s life in danger…You’re getting yourself involved in something that goes back many many years. It has nothing to do with your or my daughter. Wherever you were hiding, go back there.”
- Becoming a leader of the Others is an intricate process that starts when the leader is young.
- Locke tells Richard when and where Locke will be born. Which explains some things that happened in the past season….

Two of my favorite lines of the night:

Juliet to Sawyer about how she learned Latin: “Others 101. Gotta know Latin. Language of the enlightened.”

Sawyer to Daniel after Ellie asked if Sawyer was a time traveler too: “You told her?”

So many theories are swirling, in my head and on the internet.

- Why is Ellie familiar to Daniel? I thought that perhaps she reminded him of Theresa Spencer or Charlotte. Maybe she’s Charlotte’s mother? I saw an intriguing theory on the internet however. The “pop up video” version of last week’s show indicated that Mrs. Hawking’s first name is Eloise. Ellie could be short for Eloise. Daniel’s lab rat was named Eloise. Maybe she’s familiar to Daniel because she’s Daniel’s mother?
- If Mrs. Hawking is Daniel’s mother and is Ellie, how come he doesn’t have a British accent? Was he born on the island? Could Widmore be his father? Charlotte was born on the island. Could Mrs. Hawking also be Charlotte’s mother? Could Charlotte and Daniel be siblings? We know that Daniel was somehow with the Dharma initiative in 1980. Is it possible that Daniel is actually Charlotte’s father? Could my head spin more from all these theories? No.
- Widmore is one arrogant sob. Is it possible that he doesn’t recognize Desmond’s role with the island? He clearly didn’t recognize Locke’s importance when they met in 1954. Locke was on Flight 815 because of a failed attempt to go on a walkabout, suggested by Abaddon. Does Abaddon work for Widmore? Does Widmore now know Locke’s role with the island? Was Widmore being groomed for leader of the Others? How did he come to leave the island?

Well, that’s enough for tonight. I’ve much to ponder upon, as I’m sure you do. Please let me know what you thought!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your insightful guide to Lost! It's great to see the comments, too.

    My favorite line: the talk of how old Alpert really is.

    A couple of questions:
    - Is Juliet the Snoop Dogg of the Others? As in, used to be tough, but has since softened and so thoroughly embraced her role as cultural ambassador that the Oceanic passengers have forgotten her roots.
    - Why was Widmore so non-threatening to Desmond? Just cause Ben gave him a little what-for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that the thing that is happening to Charlotte is the same thing that happened to veggie-girl that Faraday ditched in London. -- Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sawyer seems to have forgotten Juliet's roots. I feel like we really haven't focused on Sawyer or Juliet in the past three episodes, so everything they're doing is almost for comic relief.

    I thought that Widmore was "soft" on Desmond because of Widmore's fear for Penny's safety. Desmond's lack of a response to the question "How's Penny" let him know that Penny hasn't been killed yet. If Desmond and Penny could disappear from Widmore's long grasp, then they most likely successfully dropped off Ben's radar too. Until next week...

    I haven't decided whether I agree with you Nicole. I think that "Veggie-girl"'s brain never stopped tripping through time. That's why sometimes she's a girl, sometimes she's not. I fear that Charlotte is suffering a similar, time-related illness, but one with a more dire prognosis. Minkowski and Desmond both suffered the same. Maybe "Veggie-girl" and Minkowski suffered because they had no constant. I don't know. I have a headache now, though, thinking about it!

    ReplyDelete