Sunday, January 25, 2009

I've Made My Decision

So, something struck me while watching the Lost premiere Wednesday. Sawyer thinks Kate is dead. I’m sure he’s sad that Sun, Jin, Desmond, Aaron, and especially Hurley (does he care that much about Sayid and Jack?) died, but he’s clearly devastated thinking that Kate is dead.

And suddenly, it hit me. Kate should choose Sawyer.

Now, many of y’all who know me know that Kate drives me crazy. Of all the castaways, she is my least favorite (sorry Freckles). She is self-righteous (see her “rescuing” Jack from the Others after he told her to leave) and devious (see her working with Sun to poison Michael), and often just annoying. I can’t blame the actress – I actually think she does an excellent job showing the depths of emotions that Kate is experiencing. I blame the character.

I also don’t want to think of Kate as a prize for Sawyer and Jack. That’s just not the way I want to think of any woman. I am a feminist, after all.

But, if Kate were to ask me which of the two men she should choose, I think I could tell her without reservations, pick Sawyer. Well, as of this week.

Why? Well, Jack’s had his shot. He and Kate were clearly deeply in love and even engaged at one point. But Jack let his self-doubts and demons get in the way. I don’t know why Kate wouldn’t tell Jack what favor she was doing for Sawyer. But I do think she was right – it had nothing to do with Jack and Kate’s love for him. Did he really expect her to just forget Sawyer?

Not that Sawyer is all that great of a catch himself. He’s a con artist who can be very mean-spirited, and he’s very good of taking care of himself. However, he’s also exceedingly loyal, for example, willing to risk himself to protect Hurley from Ben, Locke, and Keamy. You expect Jack to be noble and self-sacrificing, and you expect Sawyer to be selfish and cynical. But they are both more than that, and when they switch roles, it is all the more striking.

Me – I’m looking forward to the expression on Sawyer’s face when he first realizes Kate is alive. If we’re lucky, that moment won’t occur until he actually sees her.

4 comments:

  1. To me, Jack seems to be extremely self-absorbed and full of self pity with some good reason perhaps. However, Sawyer's loyalty is very appealing. Lest we forget Kate's checkered past ... I would imagine Kate feeling more a soul mate to Sawyer than to Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack seems great when it's a crisis. But otherwise, he's a mess. I agree with you that with Kate's past, she would be more compatible with Sawyer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Sawyer just looks so much better with his shirt off... and maybe if he loves Kate enough he will shave his neck-beard for her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sigh. Sawyer sans shirt. I just can't get the image out of my head.

    ReplyDelete