Friday, July 17, 2009

Emmy Nominations Announced!


So, I have a secret. I’ve always preferred the Emmy Awards shows to the Academy Awards. If you think about it, it makes sense. I rarely see all (or even any) of the nominated movies, but I’ve seen a lot of television. And even if I don’t watch a particular show, I’ve certainly read about it. I always have opinions about the major categories, frequently yelling at the TV through the show. With the advent of DVR, is there’s a speech I don’t care to hear, I can just fast-forward through it.

This doesn’t mean that I actually agree with the awards or the nominations. For example, despite the fact that Patrick Stewart did some fantastic work as Capt. Picard on Star Trek: The Next Generation, he was never once nominated for Outstanding Actor. Buffy the Vampire Slayer, one of the best dramas in the past 20 years, was never nominated for Outstanding Drama, and received all of one nomination for Outstanding Writing. These, and oh so many other oversights, have led to very mixed feelings about the Emmy Awards when they come on every year. But don’t let this fool you; I’ll be watching the show this year, just like always.



Unlike Star Trek and Buffy, Lost has been feted at the Emmys. The show won for Outstanding Drama its first season and J.J. Abrams won Outstanding Director for his work on the Pilot. Terry O’Quinn and Naveen Andrews were both nominated for Outstanding Supporting Actor, losing to William Shatner.

Lost was pretty much shut out for its second season, with Henry Ian Cusick getting a nomination for Outstanding Guest Actor, Jack Bender getting a nomination for Outstanding Direction, and Carlton Cruse and Damon Lindelof getting nominated for Outstanding Writing.

Bender, Cruse, and Lindelof received nominations again for Lost’s third season, but the exciting category was Outstanding Supporting Actor, since both Terry O’Quinn and Emerson were nominated. How I jumped for joy when Terry O’Quinn’s name was called! This was the one bright spot in an otherwise dismal show, in which James Spader won for Outstanding Lead Actor, instead of James Gandolfini.

In the meantime, enjoy this:



Lost’s season five is returning to the Emmys. The two highest profile nominations include Outstanding Drama and Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama – Michael Emerson. The season finale, The Incident, also garnered nominations: Outstanding Writing, Outstanding Sound Editing, and Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing.

So, I’ll be watching on Sunday, September 20, cheering my favorite show. And rest assured, I’ll be blogging about it afterward. Go Emerson!

1 comment:

  1. Unlike Star Trek and Buffy, Lost has been feted at the Emmys.


    I find that criminal . . . especially in regard to BUFFY. However, since I have mixed feelings about Season Five, I think I will be cheering for MAD MEN.

    As for Michael Emerson's nomination, I really don't see how he deserves one for Season Five. He wasn't THAT impressive. Hell, I would have nominated either Josh Holloway or Jeremy Davies.

    ReplyDelete