Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Return of Charles Widmore

Well, if Ben can return to the Island, so can Widmore, I guess. I'm a bit embarrassed that I completely forgot to say anything in my analysis of Dr. Linus about Widmore's arrival via submarine. I think that my friend Mike (hi, Mike!) put it best - the scene just interfered with our enjoyment of the beach reunion.

But we can't just ignore Widmore's return, as we know it doesn't mean anything good.

How much time has elapsed since Ben shot Desmond and Desmond beat Ben almost to a pulp? A week? How did Widmore find the Island? It seems unlikely that Eloise Hawking helped him, after her slap when he dared to compare his loss with hers. Daniel Faraday is dead. Did Widmore have plans in place already when he hovered outside the hospital? Did he know that Locke, aka Jeremy Bentham, had died?

I'm also curious about any allies that Widmore might have on the Island. Clearly, Ben is not an ally. Ben exiled Widmore off the Island (a fate worse than death?) and bears the horrible memory of Widmore's agent killing his daughter. Locke is dead.

But what about Miles? Miles was hired by Widmore for purposes still unknown to us. What was Miles supposed to do for Widmore?

Sun was also an erstwhile ally of Widmore's. Now, of course, all she wants is to find her husband. But what was she supposed to do with Widmore? What did their plans involve? Did she somehow help Widmore find the Island?

A lot of bloggers are wondering who is on the sub with Widmore. I think it is safe to say neither Eloise nor Daniel are on the sub (these were both suggested by bloggers). Maybe Aaron, Ji Yeon, and Clementine? Okay, I'm just dreaming about this one. But surely he has someone important on that sub!

In the meantime, according to Comcast's description of Recon, this week's new episode, Sawyer's back. My mother will be so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment