Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sayid Jarrah, Season Five

Ah, the futility of it all. When I think of Sayid during Season Five, that’s all I can think of. How futile it all was for him. A man of action, he took the opportunity to kill a future evil, to put it to rest, and to change his own life and those of so many others. Sadly, what he couldn’t know is that his act actually set into motion the very events that turned Ben into Ben.

I’ve been told that my post on Ben Linus was a very emotional one, and looking back, I realize that is so. This post, I believe, will be no less so, because the evolution of this character, one of my very favorites, has truly saddened me. Sayid is a good man, with a good heart, who made a decision that to me, was so horrific and wrong-minded, that I fear he can never achieve atonement. That his decision, his act, was futile makes it all that harder for me

Sayid had one episode this season. For many episodes, Sayid was either unconscious or hiding in the jungle. He was a minor character, even at the end, throughout the season, with the exception of one episode, He’s Our You.

As I posted following the episode, I found He’s Our You to be somewhat off. The episode seemed designed to show us that from the very beginning of his life, Sayid was nothing more than a heartless killer. I’ve never seen him that way. For one thing, I don’t know that we ever saw Sayid kill anyone until he broke the neck of an Other (Jason) with his feet in Through the Looking Glass. Until The Economist, Sayid only killed to protect his own life or those of others. After The Shape of Things to Come, we understood how Ben manipulated Sayid’s grief over Nadia’s death to use Sayid’s military skills to kill Ben’s enemies. Not a great moment for Sayid – hello, where’s your infamous intuition? But we saw in He’s Our You that Sayid seemed to relish his role with Ben, and was devastated when it ended so abruptly.

How could Ben’s words in the Dominican Republic turn Sayid into a killer of twelve-year-old boys? What made Sayid decide that Ben was so evil that he needed to be killed as a child? These are questions that I feel were not answered this season. They certainly weren’t answered in He’s Our You.

I won’t go into great detail about the events of He’s Our You, because I know that my thinking hasn’t altered that much since I posted on the episode. Sayid’s shooting of the twelve-year-old was foreshadowed in previous episodes, but his decision still shocked and appalled me. That his was the first step that turned Ben into Ben wasn’t known until later, and makes the act not just futile but also senseless.

I have read other commentators who believe that this is the end of Sayid – that nothing he can do will ever make up for that one act. Even if everything is erased by Juliet’s explosion of Jughead, the act remains engraved on Sayid’s heart one way or another. And that saddens me, because, up until The Economist, Sayid was one of the most redeemable of our characters.


Sayid spent the remainder of the season first, hiding in the jungle. He rescued Kate and Jack from an overly hostile Hostile, and learned that Kate saved Ben. He helped Jack figure out Jughead, and was shot trying to carry it out of the Barracks. He suffered a fatal wound, I suspect, but Jack did his best to save Sayid. Sayid remained in the van while Jack, Sawyer, Juliet, Kate, and Miles worked to set Jughead off (where was Hurley? Taking care of Sayid?). Obviously, we have no idea what happens after Jughead detonated.


The Actor

Naveen Andrews has had a long-term relationship with actress Barbara Hershey. However, during a “break”, he had an affair with actress Elena Eustache, and sired a son, Naveen Joshua Andrews. Andrews the actor reunited with Hershey, and shared joint custody with Eustache. However, on January 7, 2009, Andrews won sole custody after Eustache took the boy out of LA County in defiance of a court order and accused Hershey of practicing witchcraft and poisoning Naveen Jr. Eustache was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation, and a full hearing was scheduled for February. Sadly, I’ve seen nothing on the internet about that hearing, but I’ve seen pictures of Andrews with his son as late as September.

I didn't even bother with pictures today. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment