Thursday, May 14, 2009

Quick Thoughts on The Incident

There is no way that I can create a coherent post tonight. Last night, my body was so tense and my thoughts ran so rapidly that I could not sleep. Did this happen to you too? All the myriad possibilities and implications of what we saw last night have bounced around in my head, in a convoluted mass of ideas. Two hours of Lost is a lot to digest. So, tonight, I thought I would address a few issues.


Juliet

A lot of you have been very kind in providing me support in regards to Juliet’s fate. I had heard that Juliet might die, and that the woman who portrays her, Elizabeth Mitchell, has been cast in the pilot of the remake of “V”. And last week, Juliet was wearing a red shirt. Clearly, Juliet was marked.


I felt there was more foreshadowing of what was to come in the finale, in the way she looked back wistfully at the submarine leaving without her, how she waited a while to talk with Bernard and Rose (found at last!). But most disturbing of all, Jacob did not appear in Juliet’s flashback. So I was already primed watching the electromagnetic anomaly activated and all metal objects rushed to the well. How did that chain wrap itself around Juliet’s waist anyway? What brought the lump to my throat was Sawyer, telling Juliet that she can’t leave him, and Kate, urgently trying to unwrap that chain. Sawyer’s face was unrecognizable in grief, fear, and desperation. Even now, I’m choked up. And, as she slipped away, plummeting, presumably to her death, my husband looks at me and says, “Oh, well.” Thoughts of divorce court did fly briefly through my head.


Many of y’all have already pointed out to me that Juliet is probably not dead. Instead, she made the bomb explode through her sheer strength and determination, and returned to be the falsely imprisoned obstetrician, still in Ben’s thrall and still Goodwin’s lover. She got what she wanted – she never loved Sawyer and never lost him. At least, that’s the implication. But I don’t know that this is as simple as that. My friends Amber L. and Brian (hi Amber L & Brian!) both noticed that Juliet’s childhood home and parents looked downright modern, and not at all like what you would expect of the 1970s. I totally didn’t get that, but wouldn’t that makes things totally different? Instead of going back, Juliet and her family went forward.


Hurley

Hurley never fails to save the day when he’s behind the wheel of a VW wagon. Go Hurley!


Sayid

Jacob’s scene with Sayid and Nadia broke my heart. My friend June (hi June!) thought that Jacob might actually have saved Sayid’s life. I didn’t see it that way – I felt like Jacob’s interference actually increased Nadia’s vulnerability to Widmore’s goon (and I do believe now that it was Widmore who had her killed). June might be more right on this than me.

Even on TV, a shot to the gut is usually fatal. Sayid sure survived a long time, despite his intermittent medical treatment and the wild ride in the VW wagon. But he appears to believe that he’s gone too, even saying that “Nothing can save me”, though I’m not sure he’s necessarily just talking about his corporeal self.


Miles & Pierre Chang

The only time we’ve ever seen Miles care about another human being.


Phil

Bye-bye. I'm not ashamed to admit that I clapped.

Richard Alpert

I just read this on another site – if Jacob is responsible for Richard’s everlasting youth, does this mean he’s ashes?

And that’s about all I got in me tonight. I promise that there will be much more to come, starting tomorrow night. We got a lot of ground to cover, and I suspect that one more post will not be adequate to address this.

We also have to talk about the next seven long months of Lost-lessness, and the blog. I just don’t foresee having no entries all that time! I’ve a few ideas to share with you, and hope to hear your thoughts too.

In the meantime, please feel free to share your thoughts. Help me get coherent!

No comments:

Post a Comment