Friday, March 27, 2009

He's Our You


Wow, what a stunning episode. Okay, well, stunning ending - the episode itself was just so-so as it led inexorably to a scene I hoped never to see: Sayid killing a 12 year-old boy. This scene sparked so much thought in me, that honestly, I’m glad I had an extra day to compose my thoughts. Further, just that scene alone requires me to have separate posts about this episode, one focusing solely on that final scene, and another on everything else.

Many of y’all know that Sayid is one of my favorites. A large part of it has to do with how, well, gorgeous the man is. The actor plays an Iraqi but is in reality of Asian descent (India), and I’ve always had a thing for Asians. But Sayid is more than just a pretty face (and body) to me. He’s a fierce warrior with a strong streak of loyalty. He develops strong attachments to women, Nadia, Shannon, even Elsa. He has almost as much of a spiritual component as Locke does, and believes that he must atone for his sins. Yes, he’s a killer, but he’s a killer with a heart of gold. Right?

I know I said last week that it looked like Sayid was going to try to kill Ben, so I sort of expected something like this, but this foreknowledge didn’t lessen the impact. But because of my previously mentioned affection for the character of Sayid, I honestly didn’t think too much about the death of Ben. I figured he’d survive, one way or the other. If the island doesn’t mean for him to die, there will be a course correction, and a young Ben will hold this extra betrayal in his devious little heart and be closer to being the Ben we know and love and detest. Instead, I went to bed thinking of the implications of Sayid’s actions on Sayid’s soul. I gave Ben hardly a passing thought.

That ended the next day, in talking with friends (hi Amber, Brian, and Karen!) and reading blogs here and there. People really are contemplating that Ben might be dead. That Sayid pulled what people have wondered for years – he’s gone back in time to kill a horrible man before he becomes the horrible man. Sayid killed his personal version of Hitler.

Or not. So, this post will focus on the shooting and the two major characters in this transaction, Sayid and Ben, both dead and alive.

Sayid Kills a 12 Year-Old Boy

When it comes down to it, Sayid killed a 12 year-old boy who had placed his trust and hopes for the future in Sayid. Ben may have had ulterior motives (and honestly, what 12 year-old child doesn’t? I was 12 once – I remember.), but he did show kindness to an imprisoned Sayid, bringing him sandwiches and a book. Sayid justifies his actions by declaring, “I know exactly why I’m here.” He told Ilana that Ben was a liar, a manipulator, and a monster, and Sayid was clearly disgusted with himself that Ben manipulated him so easily. Lastly, Sayid told the young Ben that “You were right about me. I am a killer” before shooting the boy. The killing was justified – why else would Sayid be back on the island in 1977 with a defenseless Ben – yet clearly a terrible thing to do.

The episode seemed designed to have us agree that Sayid is a killer at heart. We open to a scene reminiscent of one we’ve seen before. A young boy can’t kill, so his brother kills for him. In Mr. Eko’s case, his brother Yemi had been ordered to kill an old man. The victim in “He’s Our You” was a chicken. I know that we were supposed to think, how coldly Sayid the boy killed that chicken! But I just can’t go there. The doomed chicken was penned with a number of other chickens; clearly, the family was raising their own food. When you’re raising your own food, you don’t anthropomorphize them like I would, you don’t give them names (Prunella and Bobbin come to mind, for some reason), and you develop no attachments to the beasts. I don’t find it that odd or telling that the young boy can do what he’s probably seen done hundreds of times. Was he a little efficient at it? Yes, he was, so it probably wasn’t his first time. I think it more means that he’s a survivor. He becomes a cold-hearted killer later.

The next flashback shows us the killer side of Sayid. He’s in full assassin mode, hunting his prey heartlessly. Clearly, being Ben’s assassin has given Sayid’s life meaning, for he’s clearly adrift when Ben tells him, rather coldly, that Sayid’s done. There’s no one left to kill. Sayid is now free to live his life. Sadly, Sayid has no life to live. He never bothered to develop one.





We then see Sayid in full atonement mode, working with a Lost-created version of Habitat for Humanity, building homes or schools or some such. Here takes place the conversation that I had to watch over and over. Ben comments on Sayid’s lack of enthusiasm about killing the men watching Hurley. The rest I wrote (thank goodness for DVR):


Sayid: What makes you think I want to [kill the men watching Hurley]?

Ben: You are capable of things most other men are not. Every choice you’ve made in
your life, whether it’s to murder or to torture, it hasn’t really been a choice at all, has
it? It’s in your nature. It’s what you are. You’re a killer, Sayid.

And to some extent, Ben’s right. Sayid has always fallen back on his torture skills when he felt the situation called for it. Remember when he tortured Sawyer in the belief the con man was hoarding Shannon’s asthma inhalers? That’s the only way to get information out of someone? And the only way to keep your friends safe is to kill a group of people named by Ben? A man you know to be less than forthright and honest? Whether Sayid took joy in torture or killing, whether it is his nature, however, I believe to be debatable. Just because he’s capable doesn’t mean it’s what he is.

The final flashback reminded me of Sayid’s relationship with women, as Ilana seduced the depressed Iraqi. He bemoans that he no longer wants to do the one thing in the world that he’s good at. What? The only thing you’re good at is killing and torture? Isn’t he some kind of telecommunications expert? Wasn’t he perfectly capable of fixing anything electronic? And the only thing you’re good at is killing? Whatever.

I had hoped throughout the episode, that Sayid would see what kind of life 12 year-old Ben had. Sayid witnessed the elder Linus' brutality toward the boy. Why couldn't Sayid instead of taken pity of Ben, helped him escape from his life, and generally be a good influence? Did Sayid even consider this option?

We last saw Sayid flying through the jungle. No matter how fast or far he runs, however, he won’t be able to outrun himself. He will feel the consequences of this for the rest of his life.

A Young Ben is Shot, Part I: Ben Lives

So we'll first assume that Ben survives the gunshot wound to the chest or somehow is resurrected as John Locke was.

My friend Nicole has a theory about resurrection. Ben needs to die and be resurrected in order to become the Chosen One, the leader, or the Little Prince of the Island, which has chosen him for this role. This is an interesting theory, and one I’ll think of for some time to come.

However Ben survives, if he survives we must rethink everything we know about Sayid and Ben’s relationship. I have to assume that Ben remembers the man who tried to kill or successfully killed him (similar to how Locke remembers that Ben killed him). Sayid first meets “Henry Gale” in one of Danielle’s traps. Perhaps “Henry’s” fear was more than just feigned – here’s the man who killed me. (If I really want my nose to bleed, I would have written, “here’s the man who will kill me nearly 30 years ago”).

Then there’s “It’s your nature” speech. We knew this speech was designed to manipulate Sayid to rescue Hurley and eventually return to the island. Was the harshness also designed to inspire Sayid to kill him? So he can be resurrected?

In This Place is Death, Ben angrily told Sun and Jack they’d thank him “if you had any idea what I’ve had to do to keep you safe”. Was he referring the amount of time he had to spend with the man he knew would shoot/kill him?

A Young Ben is Shot, Part I: Ben Dies

And by dies, I mean that he is not resurrected, he’s either buried or cremated, and Michael Emerson loses the best job he’s ever had. If that happens, then everything changes.

Does Widmore remain on the island?
Does the Purge never happen?
Will adequate staffing of the Swan mean that Oceanic Flight 816 never crash?
Does Juliet never leave Miami?

The questions are never ending.

So, with all these thoughts still racing in my head, I’ll sign off. I have at least one more post in me for this episode. We gotta discuss Sawyer’s comfortable Dharma life, Juliet’s realization that “It’s over”, and Sayid's reaction to truth serum.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention Carol. found our copy of "the Little Prince" -- weird book; I'll leave it to you to find the allusions. Your friend's resurrection theory is very interesting and one we've been considering for a long time about Locke. My head is spinning trying to figure out good vs evil!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I forget to tell you that I tend to mention people I've talked with about the show? But only if they bring up something that makes me think.

    ReplyDelete